Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Crockpot Lasagna

I am always trying to find recipes for the crockpot that my whole family will like, which is difficult with a picky eater. I found one yesterday! I wanted to try something that wasn't in the soup variety, so I thought I'd try lasagna. I found this recipe, or more like the directions (I knew what went in it) on Stephanie O'Dea's website

1 pound ground beef
1 jar spaghetti sauce
Lasagna noodles (doesn't matter if they are oven ready or not)
1 large container cottage cheese
2 cup bag shredded cheese (I used the Italian blend)
1/4-1/2 cup water

I used my 6-quart crockpot. Brown the beef on the stove. Once it is browned, dump the entire jar of sauce in the pan to simmer for a couple of minutes. Keep the sauce container and put the water in it for later-don't let all the extra sauce goodness go to waste!

After that is done, spoon a layer of the sauce mixture, then a layer of noodles (you'll have to break them to fit), cottage cheese, and a handful of shredded cheese. Repeat until you either run out or you get it as high as you want. Make sure you end with shredded cheese on the top. Then take your sauce container with the water, swirl it around to pick up the extra sauce, and pour it on top of your lasagna.

Set it on low for about 8 hours, on high for four. If the noodles peek out, try and keep them inside the mixture so they don't get rubbery or crunchy (unless you like that sort of thing). This is how it turned out--
 YUM!!

No comments: