Saturday, May 5, 2007

Momma's Mini-Vacation

This weekend my sister Alison had another shower in her hometown of Anthony, Kansas. I got to go up and be a part of her special day. The cool thing about it was my husband was a sweetie and kept the girls while I went all by myself! What a novelty it was! It is a rare thing when I am without children. I get an hour a day when there are no children in my direct line of sight. I absolutely ADORE my girls and my job, but sometimes it's just nice to have quiet "adult" time for awhile.

On the way up I listened to my iPod filled with everything from old Amy Grant to Nickelback to Rascal Flatts to Pachelbel. I sang as loud as I wanted when I wanted. I stopped when I wanted to. It was great.

There's a lot to be said for small towns. Life is just slower there, and the people that live there have different ways to occupy their time. Gardening is a main hobby, and spending time outside with family and friends is a must. My brother in law, Brandon, put in his garden this morning. It was neat to watch it all come together. Later on, Ali will make pickles and salsa and maybe some jelly from all the things they have planted. Life is good in a small town. I definitely would like to leave the concrete behind one of these days and live in one.

On the way home, I had the experience of sharing the road with something other than cars and trucks. I was on a state highway and I saw something moving in the distance. I looked at it and realized that it was not a vehicle--it was a COW! When I got a little closer to it, I honked so it wouldn't stop in the middle of the road. It was just crossing the street by the time I got there. It stopped on the side of the road and looked at me. It started to charge my truck and then stopped. It looked at me like I was the stupidest thing in the world! LOL! I think it was just seeing if the grass was greener on the other side.

So, my mini-vacation was a short one, but a nice one. It was good to be greeted by my family when I got home. The hugs from my family are the best.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.