Sunday, July 6, 2008

All Hail the Bean Pot!


This is my mom's pot. She received it and a matching pitcher when she and Daddy got married 37 years ago. The only time we ever saw it is when she made baked beans in it. In the summer, she made them often. Somehow I acquired it and the pitcher along the way. I only use it for beans, and we say, "All Hail the Bean Pot!" every time we get it out. I really don't know why it's special to me, but it is. I guess it's because it was my mom's. I also thought I'd add the baked bean recipe too! I've deviated from it a little, and I'll add my changes at the end.

Baked Beans
From Marlene Jaszkowiak

1 small chopped onion
3/4 c. packed brown sugar
1 c. ketchup
2 tsp. vinegar
2 Tbsp. liquid smoke
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. chili powder
1 2-pound can Pork & Beans (drained)

Mix and simmer for 30-60 minutes or microwave at medium for 20 minutes, until it bubbles.

Michelle's Beans:
Ketchup
Barbeque sauce
Onion powder
Brown sugar
Liquid smoke
Molasses
2 pound can pork & beans (drained)

I just mix it all until it tastes just right. I don't measure anything (hard to believe, huh?) Then I put in the microwave on high for about 7-9 minutes. YUM!!

No comments: