Monday, July 21, 2008

John Mayer

It seems that every summer in recent years I find something to completely captivate me and keep me entertained. In years past it has been the works of Jane Austen, J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter, and Jan Karon's Mitford series (of which I'm reading again this very minute). This summer it is the music of John Mayer. Besides Amy Grant, Mr. Mayer has been the solitary artist that has captured my attention so thoroughly. I grew up listening to Amy, since about 1982, so she has always been close to my heart. But John's sound, lyrics, and top-notch guitar talent keep me listening. Favorites like, "Home Life," "Bigger Than My Body," "Vultures," "Why Georgia," and "Neon" have a great balance of meaningful lyrics and unforgettable music. One of the things that draw me to music is a good lyric. I notice that almost before a good melody line. When a song has both, I'm sucked in, hook, line, and sinker! John Mayer is one of those artists who delivers both. Take a minute and check out his music!

No comments: