Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Sunflowers

The girls love sunflowers. A few years ago I planted some in the back yard and Anna thought they were the coolest thing. They were about as tall as Allen and when he held her she could see the tops (This was when Lauren was a wee little bit). I found a book by Eve Bunting called The Sunflower House and Anna wanted me to make her one. As the girls grew, they never forgot the story and how they loved sunflowers. Well, this year we planted them again. I guess I got the giant seeds or a different kind or something, because they are HUGE!! You can see how tall they are in the bottom picture, with Allen and his 8-foot reach. We planted them in April and have been waiting for them to grow and bloom. The first one started to bloom the first weekend in July. Now we have about seven or eight big flowers. It is a big deal to go out everyday and see if we have any more flowers blooming. We love them! I didn't plant them a sunflower house this year, but next year I just might, and go hang out there myself!









No comments: