Sunday, May 16, 2010

Our Backyard

Since we bought our new house, it has been an ongoing surprise.  When we moved in, everything inside and out was worn out, filthy, overgrown, or broken.  We have spent lots of time cleaning, trimming, fixing, and painting (of which I'm still not done).  It needs lots of love, and we are slowly giving it.  Our backyard is no exception.

The girls love the backyard.  It is big and has lots of potential for greatness.  It also has LOTS of plants in it!  I am sure that when the previous owners were taking care of it, it was beautiful.  We find traces and hints of what used to be flower beds, planters, and rabbit huts.  The girls have found many things in the yard itself, some of it kinda scary.  I'm glad that my girls are responsible and careful.  They come and show us everything they find.  Lauren is a little scavenger!  We are very careful when we go into the overgrown parts of the yard.

One of the good things about the backyard (and the front too) is that it holds surprises.  Nothing was blooming when we got here because it was so overgrown.  I have been trimming things on beautiful days and trying to get things cleaned up.  This has brought treasures!  We found three rose bushes, two patches of irises (they are beautiful!), a cactus (the hard way--I stepped on it), and this morning I realized that two of the bushes (both of which I was going to tear out) are honeysuckle.  I LOVE honeysuckle!!  My parents had it in our backyard in Moore, and that is one of my favorite childhood memories.  Opening the windows on a spring day and the smell of honeysuckle floating in...Divine!!  Needless to say, I won't be taking those bushes out. I wonder what else I am going to find.

No comments: