Friday, August 5, 2011

The Jack Lamp

I wanted to make something for Allen with his empty Jack Daniel's bottle. I love how the bottles look--the contrast on the label, with the simplicity but fanciness of it. So I thought about it for a while, and voila! the idea came. A lamp! I wasn't too fond of the lamp he was using at the time and wanted to do something we would both like. So here's how I did it:

First, I assembled the things I would need.
I went to Lowe's and found a bottle lamp kit .
I already had the bottle (1.75 liter)
I used the lamp shade we had, and then
I went to Michael's and got oval glass marbles that were the color of whiskey (about 5 bags).

I filled the bottle with the marbles to give it some weight, and to make it look full. Then I followed the directions on the lamp kit package. I assembled the main screw into the cork I needed to fit my bottle, put the cap then the bottom of the switch housing on it. Then I had to put the correct wire on the screws and tighten them for good connectivity. (I thought that was the hardest part) All that was left after that was put the top of the switch housing on and put it in the bottle. The cork was a tight fit, but there was some movement when you would turn on and off the light. That wouldn't do, so I got out my trusty hot glue gun and put some glue right around the top of the cork and put it back in. Worked like a charm! Now Allen has a cool lamp we both like.





No comments: